Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Painting "100+ Faces, No. 113"

I'm not going to show you the mugshot I painted from, out of respect for the real guy.

Trust me when I tell you the original police mugshot is blah in color and lighting, as most are.

That's what imagination is for.

I picked this face because of the glasses.  I need the practice on glasses.

Starting with my 4" square panel...



just a quick sketch.



The way I think about a face is the same I think about a landscape
or anything else for that matter.  It's just shadow and light and areas of color.
It's best if you just forget that it's a face.  At least until you're close to completion.



I map out the features just a bit for guidance.



Adding areas of color, paying some attention to values.
What I like about the small panel and painting faces is I jump around the painting
with the same color in spots.  I have a different approach with other subjects
as you see in earlier posts.


 
Adding some reds.



Adding a hint of the glasses.



Filling in the highlighted areas.



Adding small touches here and there, not overworking the glasses.



This is the point where I tweek the values a bit and add some needed touches
of Indian Yellow.  We have a lot of green/gold in our skin, so if you
end up with a chalky, rosy feel to a face, I'd suggest mixing in some greens.


 
 I like saving the background for last.  I use it to form the painted part,
taper in when needed and play with the edges.  You can see I tried
a few 'swatches', just feeling out which one I like best.

I also looked at the original photo and checked a few
traits this man had - I tweeked the right eye a bit.
 If you notice the ears aren't particularly symmetrical, 
it's one of his individual traits.


Nobody's perfect.



 And .... done.








12 comments:

  1. Oh!! Karin...you have no idea how helpful this is...its like an on going workshop...Thank you soo much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing how you approach this differently than your other paintings. Great Job! Thanks for putting this out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So helpful! A mention or two of the colours you're using will help a novice like me experiment with a little more direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, that's a fast demo from just Sunday's FAQ... thanks!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! No matter how many times I see this... I just love love it. Thank you Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant portrait. Thanks again for creating this blog. I love seeing process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great! I agree with Cathy. Seeing this over and over... it just gets better! Thank you for sharing, Karin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you said, "I need glasses".....
    Thanks for the demo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karin you are an inspiration. I live in Decatur Ga. I am a painter and I struggle with being "too tight". I want to be loose like you! Thank you for your blog! I've followed you for years. I love "Fifty shades of Green".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing your step by step process. Quite interesting. Looking forward to seeing more of your process in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karin, hello - process shots are my favorite -it is such a treat getting to see all the different stages and reading about them too -

    ReplyDelete