Saturday, January 19, 2013

I'm a Color Addict

My Favorite Things, Part 2 ~




And this is me being conservative.  

Someone at my workshop told me they read I have all these different colors because I don't mix paints. 

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've been mixing colors since I was a kid making a mess of my mom's palette.  It's one of the most fun aspects of painting with oils.

I'm a condiments girl.  In my fridge, I have 4 different mayos, I'll bet 7 different mustards and my spice cabinet is overflowing.  Variety's the spice of life.   It makes food flavorful.  It makes painting full of dimension.   A color orgy.   The possibilities are endless.

I am not loyal to any particular brand of oils.  After painting for 7 years now,  I've got my favorites due to trial and error.  I tend to like Gamblin, Holbein, Williamsburg and Richeson - if I were a rich man, I'd load up with Old Holland.

I respect those who use a limited palette, but it's not for me.  There's no right or wrong here.  What's important is we're psyched to paint.  And colors excite me.

If you paint, and you don't feel like you can mix the colors you want - it takes time and practice.  They more you paint, the better you mix and before you know it,  you're doing it in your sleep.

ps ~ I use pizza pans as you can see.  They're cheap ($4) and when I'm done with it, I toss it and start all over again with a fresh one.

3 comments:

  1. I am just getting started with oils and thought taking the less is more route with my minimal palette was the way to go. But I totally agree with you on getting psyched to paint. Whatever it takes, works. And yes, my spice rack is jammed packed, and the mustard thing must run in our blood. Love the pizza pan idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Leslie Saeta's 30/30 challenge I chose to use a limited palette of Ultramarine blue, pyrol red, cad yellow medium and titanium white. I can see the advantages of using a limited palette, especially if you are painting outside. And I've learned how to mix and get some beautiful colors and the harmony is outstanding. However, I can't wait to get back to using more tubes and I have plenty! It's faster and sometimes I just can't get the color I want (I'm sure from lack of experience).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have entirely too many tubes of paint, and I bet I always will!

    ReplyDelete