Tuesday, January 15, 2013

For Those Artists Who Prefer to Paint Small

My Favorite Things, Part 1  ~

Tools are everything.   They make a job easier if you have the right ones.   So let me share two of the most useful tools in my painting life - invented out of necessity and custom-built by my guy, Brett.

On the first day I sat down (I must sit, I have horrible knees) to start painting, back in 2005 I think, I had this common, somewhat rickety tabletop easel.  I found it so annoying, it broke my concentration when it tilted and wobbled or I had to adjust the wing nuts to tilt the painting.  H-a-t-e-d it.  So I asked a friend to build me a simple, sturdy tabletop easel and I've been using it every day since.  I even take it to my workshops.  I couldn't live without it.

Since then, Brett designed an improved, snazzy version I call the Paint On Tabletop Easel.   Here's some photos and you can read what other artists said about theirs here.


















 Had to mention the bottom ledge is flat.
I can't tell you how much I hate those grooves in other easels.


We sell the Paint On Tabletop Easel for $120 plus shipping (US only) and new ones are built
every couple of weeks.  You can find more details and info on this page including an
email link to us to notify you when one is available.




Brett also designed a useful tool we call the Paint On AlterEasel - for those who need to adapt their stand-up easel for painting smaller panels and canvases.   Here's a few photos...





We sell the Paint On AlterEasel for $100 plus shipping (US only) and new ones are built
every couple of weeks.  You can find more details and info on this page including an
email link to us to notify you when one is available.


Painting needs to be enjoyable and without the frustrating wobbling and dealing with panels falling off the easels.  A Zen experience.   These two easels make my painting time that much more fun and I just wanted to share these tools with you.

More to come ~




2 comments:

  1. I love my AlterEasel. Love your blogs! Thanks for sharing your great work and insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Karin - I absolutely love mine - if the canvas fits - I use it! I want to protect it, so I always put a few pieces of that 'press and seal' food sealing wrap on it and change it every few paintings...it keeps it clean and like new! Am I anal? Probably.

    ReplyDelete